14 Most Sued Industries for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Non-Compliance by Richard Uzelac, CEO of GoMarketing.com
Not all websites and industries are equal for being sued for ADA Non-Compliance. The most sued industries for ADA website Non-Compliance are:
- 1 . Travel/Hospitality
- 2 . Restaurants/Food Service
- 3 . Medical/Health
- 4 . E-Commerce
- 5 . Universities/Educational
- 6 . Beauty/Fitness/Wellness
- 7 . Entertainment/Leisure: Fox Theaters
- 8 . Insurance
- 9 . Retail Stores
- 10 . Home Services
- 11 . Banking/Financial
- 12 . Real Estate
- 13 . Automotive
- 14 . Government
We have observed if a lawsuit in a particular company gets a lot of publicity, similar lawsuits against similar companies follow right behind, says Richard Uzelac, CEO of GoMarketing.com. If attorney smell blood in the water from a famous case, they go after that type of target again.”
High profile ADA Non-Compliance Lawsuits in each category are:
- » Travel/Hospitality: AirBNB, Choice Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Marriott Hotels, etc.
- » Restaurants/Food Service: Dominos Pizza, Taco Bell, Starbucks, Small Restaurants
- » Medical/Health: Digital Health, Epic Systems EHR Software, UNC Health Care
- » E-Commerce: Amazon, Apple, Winn Dixie
- » Universities/Educational: Univ. of Oregon, Los Angeles Community College
- » Beauty/Fitness/Wellness: Fenty Beauty, Louis Vuitton, Planet Fitness
- » Entertainment/Leisure: Many Winery Websites, Beyonce Knowles, Hulu, FOX Network
- » Insurance: Company and Agent sites.
- » Retail Stores: Amazon.com, Xerox, Apple, H&M, Dash, Coach, and many small stores.
- » Home Services: Various HVAC, Plumber, other home services
- » Banking/Financial: various Credit Unions, Capital One, Wells Fargo
- » Real Estate Agencies: Miller-Valentine, Compass
- » Automotive: Toyota, Uber, Many Auto Dealers
- » Government: Many Gov Websites, Sheriff websites, City of Venice Calif.
- » Many Small Businesses
“While these industries are hit the most with lawsuits now, the spectrum of industries hit with lawsuits over ADA compliance is getting broader every month,” says Richard Uzelac, CEO of Online Marketing and Advertising Agency, GoMarketing Inc. “Most notable is the lawsuits now being filed against Small Home Services Companies, Retail Stores and Professional Services,” Richard Uzelac states.
Industries which are sued for the Non-Compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are Travel/Hospitality, Restaurants/Food Service, Medical/Health, E-Commerce, Universities/Educational, Beauty/Fitness/Wellness, Entertainment/Leisure, Fox Theaters, Insurance, Retail Stores, Home Services, Banking/Financial, Real Estate, Automotive, Government and many Small Businesses.
If you are still sued, you will have the documentation to prove your site is compliant and can quickly make small adjustments before you would have to go to court.
The courts are starting to see this attack on businesses as sometimes, an overreaction to a minor issue. Or, darker, they see the lawsuit as a bid to cash in on a strange legal environment around ADA Website Compliance, at the expense of businesses everywhere.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel it seems. Courts are giving many companies the time needed to fix ADA issues before proceeding with cases. For some, showing up in court or showing the opposition that the issue has been rectified is enough to get them to drop the case, as the courts are often dismissing lawsuits when the issue is no longer present.
Many times non-compliant companies have not prepared properly and they won’t normally have the time to become compliant for ADA before the court date is upon them. GoMarketing has a focused multi-pronged attack to get your site within compliance FAST.
“The bottom line is, nearly every business with a digital presence is a potential victim of a lawsuit. It is far better to make your website ADA compliant before you are sued. Being proactively compliant will most likely keep you from being sued in the first place and out of costly court,” said Richard Uzelac.
ADA website compliance is not an option, it is the law”
Richard Uzelac, CEO of GoMarketing.com
Based out of Thousand Oaks, California, GoMarketing uses the following mission statement to deliver digital marketing results to their clients: “Understand. Engage. Succeed. Grow.” Acting as digital marketing professionals within a wide range of industry sectors, the GoMarketing team specializes in many Services, including; SEO, content strategy, website design and development, and more. GoMarketing provides a full suite of marketing solutions that generate online leads and sales for businesses throughout the country. For more information about their custom marketing plans, contact GoMarketing directly at 805.413.7893 or visit GoMarketing.
About Richard Uzelac, CEO of GoMarketing
Founder of GoMarketing and RealtyTech Inc., Richard Uzelac is an Emmy award-winning graphics producer, former Director of Realtor.com, and sits on several boards of directors. Richard Uzelac’s GoMarketing works with Corporations and Small Businesses to generate exposure, sales and improve online reputation. Mr. Richard Uzelac is also available as a Technology Speaker, Seminar Provider, and Business Consultant. For more information, contact Richard Uzelac at 805.413.7893.