What is ADA and WCAG 2.1 and How Does It Affect Businesses?
Americans with Disabilities Act & Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), is a 1990 Civil Rights Law that prohibits discrimination against persons with disabilities in many areas of public life. Title III of the Act pertains to accessibility for all to service offered by private entities.
Title III of the ADA has been interpreted as pertaining to website accessibility for visitors with vision, hearing, and speech disabilities.
ADA Title III has no detailed compliance goals for website owners to follow. So, the court system has looked to WCAG 2.1, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 as the guide for ADA compliance.
If you are sued, you will be sued based on the guidelines stated in WCAG 2.1
Section 508 is a separate compliance law which covers government and government contractors’ websites exclusively and has its own guidelines.
ADA Compliance Goals For Websites
ADA Compliance Standards
ADA Compliance Requirements
ADA Compliance Governance
ADA Compliance Transparency
Industries Sued Over ADA Non-Compliance
Is Your Website ADA Compliant?
Foremost, if your website is not compliant, you could be sued by a visitor or by that visitors’ lawyers. Lawsuits for ADA non-compliance have more than doubled year over year. 2722 ADA Title III lawsuits were filed in 2013, and it is projected that 11,184 will be filed in 2019!
GoMarketing ADA Website Compliance Services, What We Do:
- 1. Analyze Your Website: GoMarketing will study and analyze your website to see where your ADA issues are on your website.
- 2. Make You Compliant: We will modify your website to make it ADA compliant by meeting WCAG 2.1 guidelines and Section 508 guidelines both. Some of this modification is done by our developers by hand and some of it is controlled by our ADACS program automatically.
- 3. Keep You Compliant: Our ADA Compliance Software (ADACS) monitors changes to your website and to compliance laws. If the laws change, our software and our developers will return your site to compliance very quickly.
“We are very excited to offer this ADA Compliance Service and the ADACS Program to our Clients and new Clients. This software is a gamechanger in the ADA compliance arena that will allow everyone to rest easier knowing they are ADA Compliant,” said Richard Uzelac, CEO of GoMarketing.
GoMarketing ADACS Program Overview
Our ADACS Program is a Visitor adjustable frontend and backend layer system. 90% of all ADA issues are covered by ADACS and can be implemented by users with disabilities. The users have the control to alter your websites interface for their own unique experience. This allows Users with disabilities to modify what they see and hear on your site to meet their needs. Giving your visitors the ability to tailor your site to their needs will put the power in their hands to have a great experience. You can see this interface by clicking on the Blue Circle Icon with the wheel chair graphic in the lower left corner of www.GoMarketing.com.
Feel free to try the system out on our own website. Only you will see the changes and adjustments you are making.
Would you like a free demo of our system, call 805-413-7893 to set up a time to do so! We know you will be impressed with the system and be assured you are now ADA Compliant!
W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines WCAG 2.1
- 1 Provide alternative text for non-text content
- 2 Label all of your form elements
- 3 Add closed captions to the video. Add audio descriptions for animations
- 4 Ensure color contrast meets the minimum threshold.
- 5 Make your link text descriptive.
- 6 Do not use color as the only indication of meaning.
- 7 Make sure your font size is at least 18 px.
- 8 If there is an input error by the user, it must be identifiedand explained in the text.
- 9 You should be able to navigate the whole site using only your keyboard.
- 10 Use flexible time limits for your website, if any, or add an optionfor more time.
- 11 Provide skip navigation links so that users can skiprepetitive content, such as menus, etc.